Founded in 1976, GRET is an international development NGO, governed by French law, which acts from work on the ground all the way up influencing policy, with the aim of providing durable and innovative answers to the challenges of poverty and inequalities. It supports social and economic sustainable development with an approach based on partnership and action research. Active in more than 30 countries, GRET has 13 permanent branch offices in Asia, Africa and Latin America. GRET combines the roles of project practitioner or co-practitioner, expert, contributor to public policy and producer/distributor of development references.
- GRET started its activities in Cambodia since 1988. Currently, GRET Cambodia is working in several sectors such as Water and Sanitation, Agriculture and Irrigation, Agro-ecology, Health and Land Governance. A Representation Office is established in Phnom Penh and a Branch office is located in Siem Reap.
- Since 2014, GRET is involved in the Water and Agricultural Sector Project (WASP – 2014/2018), providing Technical Assistance under contract with the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology (MOWRAM) and funded by the Agence Française de Développement (AFD).
- The WASP project aims to:
1) Rehabilitate 5 irrigation schemes (6 000 Ha – medium irrigation systems for rice production) in Banteay Meanchey, Siem Reap and Kampong Thom provinces;
2) Rehabilitate 25 Preks (6 500 Ha – small irrigation systems for diversification production) in Kandal province;
3) Create and support Farmers Water users Communities (FWUC) for the management of the rehabilitated irrigation schemes and Preks;
4)To support FWUC and Farmers for Agricultural development and Improvement of Value Chain in target areas;
5) Strengthen local actors involved in the irrigation sector, especially the Irrigation Service Center (ISC) and the Farmer and Water Net (FWN – Federation of FWUC).
- GRET is mainly involved in the objectives (3), (4) and (5) of WASP project through the mobilization of Technical Assistance team named TA TAG.
- Since 2014, GRET team (TA TAG) is supporting the Irrigation Service Center (ISC), a local NGO developing specific support services to the FWUC, for implementation of the objectives (3) and (4) in the 5 irrigation schemes rehabilitated under WASP. Since mid-2017, TA TAG and ISC are now responsible of the implementation of the same 2 objectives in the 25 rehabilitated Preks.
- Besides the support to ISC on the field activities, TA TAG has a specific objective for general strengthening of ISC by supporting its management team and the recently hired staff for the new ISC antenna in Kandal province.
- Finally, TA TAG has a specific objective for general strengthening of the Farmer and Water Net (FWN), the Federation of FWUC aiming at (a) developing exchanges among the FWUC and (b) representing the interests of the FWUC at national level.
TA TAG (GRET team) is composed of:
- Current position: 1 GRET Expatriate Project Manager / Irrigation Specialist – Scheme & Prek
- 1 National Institutional Expert –Support to FWN & ISC and Relationship with MOWRAM
- 1 National Senior Agronomist (Scheme)
- 1 National Agriculture Specialist (Scheme)
- 1 National Rice Value Chain Specialist (Scheme)
- 1 National Agriculture and Value Chain Coordinator (Prek)
- 1 National Junior Agronomist (Prek)
- 1 International Agro Expert (Scheme & Prek) for short term support mission
Job description, duties and responsibilities
- Due to the unexpected departure for family reasons of the current Project Manager, GRET is now looking for an Expatriate Project Manager, available as soon as possible, to undertake the following responsibilities.
General Project Management
- Coordination and Exchanges among TA TAG team members
- Coordination and General Planning with ISC team
- Exchanges with MOWRAM and other Technical Assistances of WASP project
- Exchanges with GRET HQ and GRET office in Cambodia
- Management of the Consultants (International and National)
- General Reporting of TA TAG activities’ progress
- Budget management of TA TAG team
Specific Support on Irrigation and Social Water Management activities
- Define the need of support of ISC team in collaboration with ISC management team
- Prepare Guidelines and provide Capacity Building to ISC team on Irrigation and Social Water Management activities, especially on preparation of Responsibility Sharing Agreement between FWUC and MOWRAM, Water Sharing Agreement and Management of Maintenance of the irrigation systems.
- Support of ISC Project Manager for planning these activities
- Supervision and Follow-up of these activities implemented by ISC team
Moreover, it is expected that the Expatriate Project Manager consolidates all tools and guidelines developed by TA TAG team for ISC Capacity Building, in order to produce reference documents covering the main activities implemented under WASP (FWUC Support, Agricultural Development and Value Chain Improvement).
He / She could also be involved in other tasks or activities according to the needs of GRET projects.
He / She will be under responsibility of HQ Project Manager based at GRET HQ (Nogent), who will conduct several monitoring missions to support him / her.
Education: bachelor or master degree in Rural Development / Irrigation (Social Water Management) or Agriculture or similar sector.
Experience: Experienced profile with 5-10 years’ experience in project management or in the fields of project activities (Social Water Management or Agricultural development or Local actors’ strengthening)
Competencies and abilities:
- Fluency in spoken and written English required
- Knowledge of South East Asia, Cambodia
- Interest in local actors’ support, Link Field / Public policy, collective learning process
- Good skills for facilitation between Field / Local Authorities / Ministry
- Good skills for team coordination and writing reports
Conditions and starting date
- Start: as soon as possible (and no later than early January 2018), with a week of integration before departure at GRET HQ in Nogent-sur-Marne.
- Contract of Expatriate for a duration until August 2018
- Based in Phnom Penh with regular trips to target provinces
- Possibility of short term missions in other countries, according to the needs and interest
- Annual Gross salary from 33 K € for 13 months (according to GRET salary grid and experience) + expatriation allowances (From 1292 euros/month according to family situation). An air ticket per year is provided.
Send your CV and motivation letter as soon as possible to email@example.com, with the reference “CdP Irrigation – Cambodia” in the email object.
The deadline for application is 11th December 2017. However, selection will start as soon as first applications will be received.
Only applicants who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
To know more about Gret: www.gret.org
- The WASP project aims to: